To my Knightville and other South Portland Neighbors,
We have 9 trees for Pope Preserve; now we need to plant them!
Saturday, October 8, we are having our next Big Dig. If you have an hour or two between 8:00am and noon, please stop by next to Hannaford MillCreek and join your neighbors and Rotarians to get these trees in the ground.
- The holes for the trees will be dug ahead of time by SeaBreeze Property Services
- One of the trees will also be planted by SeaBreeze because it is too heavy for mere mortals
- Volunteers will place the trees and fill in the holes around them, building a dirt irrigation ring to hold the water until the trees establish firm roots
- With the time remaining, we will turn over as much of the area around the trees to remove what are 95% dead Japanese knotweed roots.
- At a later date, I and a few others (I hope) will spread wood chips on the area around the trees and the project will be put to bed for the season.
- Please bring a pointy shovel and an iron rake if you have one. I will bring a wheel barrel and we could use one or two more to pick up miscellaneous piles of roots.
- Coffee and water will be provided
Thanks for your help. Next year, we will continue the planting with shrubs and ground cover, hopefully raising more funds for benches and signs depicting the ecology and history of the site.
Neighborhood Busy Body